Friday, July 23, 2010

San Antonio

So I spent last week .08 miles from the Alamo. I had a Crime Prevention Conference that was held in San Antonio, so of course when we were done learning stuff during the day, I took the opportunity to wander around the streets of that fine city. I learned a lot of things about San Antonio in my off time; I learned that it is a "stopping/loading/meeting" point for many illegals brought up from Mexico by way of coyotes; that there is a "double" cypress tree that grows near the river, that is said to have been the look out point for a Mexican sniper during the battle at the Alamo; and I learned that there are a lot of homeless folks wandering the streets. I also learned that San Antonio is the second largest city in Texas, which would explain everything except the Mexican sniper tale.

I was so happy to spend more than a day there (usually we leave after one night). I had a whole week to explore the Riverwalk, see the sites and experience the many people who are woven into the colorful tapestry that is San Antonio. I ate at the TipTop Cafe, which was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. see it here Their lemon pie was to DIE FOR! I got to visit the Alamo again, and I also went to the other missions on Mission Trail. And of course, no trip to San Anton' is complete without a night out at "Howl at the Moon Dueling Piano Bar".

Though I missed Mark the whole week, I did have a good time (despite the 98 degree, 100% humidity weather). Poor Mark was home all week with no food in the house, as I failed to go grocery shopping before I left. I think he'll forgive me though, as he got to eat "junk food" whenever he wanted :)

Here are a few pictures from the week. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far!









No comments: