Sunday, July 13, 2008

On Pins and Needles...Literally!

I went for my first round of Acupuncture/Chiropractic adjustment this week, and was pleasantly surprised. The Dr. that I see is so knowledgeable and friendly, that it was easy to relax in the office. My back has been bothering me lately, and I found out why; apparently (according to the x-rays), I'm showing early signs of Spinal Degeneration in my neck. Fun! Dr. Wan said it is only slight, so hopefully we can do something about it before it gets worse.
The acupuncture doesn't hurt at all! Mark's dad had gone to see him in the past and assured me that it was painless, but I still had my reservations. I was really shocked at how quickly it works as well! At one point I had about 11 needles sticking out of my hands, legs and feet. I felt like Pinhead!
You should see the list of ailments that can be treated with acupuncture; everything from diabetes to high blood pressure, and everything in between! I go back for my second visit Wednesday. He wants to see me 1 to 2 times per week, so I'll let you all know how it is working as time goes on.

Let's see, what else is going on? Oh that's right, WEEKENDS! My department has a shift bid every year, when we get to choose what shift/days off/district we want. Luckily I was able to bid Saturday/Sunday off in my district on nights! I am so excited! I will actually get to hang out with friends again without having to take a vacation day! Mark is really happy about it too, because now we can go hiking and river rafting with friends (which is what he has been wanting to do FOREVER!).
I probably won't get holidays off this year, but I think it will be alright.

Speaking of work, we played the best prank EVER on a friend. I'll refer to the victim of this prank as "the Mark". The Mark was sitting quietly in his patrol car eating his lunch in a darkened parking lot. So a fellow officer (who shall remain nameless) and I snuck up behind his car and set off about 20 blackcat fire crackers outside his window. He jumped so high, I really thought he was going to shoot us when he got out of his car. We went hauling ass across the basketball court and jumped into our awaiting patrol cars around the corner. It was beautiful. We have plans for improve on this and pull another prank on another officer tonight. I'll let you know how that goes, as we plan to attach the firecrackers to his belt, so when he runs away from them, they follow! I wish we could video the reactions! It's moments like this that I remember why I got into this business. hahaha :)

1 comment:

Meghan said...

How nice to have weekends off-- a little more normal, but I am sure it doesnt mean we will see you all anymore. With my night shifts, mark and mikes 24 hours and your nights who knows when we will see you all and we live around the corner!! Talk to you soon!
Hope your neck/back gets better!!