Monday, August 11, 2008

It's the worst day since yesterday...

Being 1,600 miles away from your family means that you get most news over the phone or through email. But whether this news came through the phone lines or in person, it wouldn't make it any easier to hear. About an hour ago I got a call from my mom, saying that my grandpa passed away today (August 11th) in his home. Apparently he knew it, as he looked at my uncle and said "I'm dying now" and then just closed his eyes. It was very peaceful according to my mom.

We all knew this day would come, and due to a heart attack about 6 years ago he was not in good health, so it was not a complete shock. But even still, it's not a happy time for those of us left behind. We're selfish, I know. He's in such a better place now, and yet we grieve.

It's weird; I knew it was going to happen. The other night I couldn't fall asleep and out of no where I just knew he was going to go. Of course I pushed that thought out of my mind and I didn't call him to say "I love you" or "You're the guy who told the guy that I'm the guy who hit the guy in the eye" (that was a little game we played).

Hopefully he knew it though.

No comments: