In Texas, St. Patrick's Day isn't nearly as big of a deal, and it is grossly overlooked in my opinion. I myself am not of Irish decent, but I like to play one on TV 1 day a year. What a great day! A day to hang out with friends, tie one on and make memories; a day dedicated to over indulgence, corn beef and cabbage, green beer and crazy hats. I can smell the beer just thinking about the over crowded bars, the drunkards stumbling down sidewalks singing "Ring ding diddle diddle i de o, Ring di diddle i o
He stumbled off into the grass to sleep beside the street", and the many smiling faces you come to find on St. Patty's Day.
So I figured since St. Patrick's Day can't be celebrated in the proper way this year, I would do a little history searching and find out the real story behind the man for whom the day is dedicated. Apparently St. Patrick wasn't Irish at all! He was born in Britain in the 4th Century, and was captured by the Irish, held prisoner for some 6 years and then escaped back to England only to return to Ireland as a Christian missionary! WHAT?! St. Patrick is ENGLISH!? A despised and hated Englishman is the most widely known "Irish" saint?! This can't be true!!! Oh, but it is.
So here's to you St. Patrick, even if you are a Limey!

St. Patrick is most often depicted "banishing the snakes" from Ireland. This is most likely a metaphor for his bringing Christianity to Ireland and driving out the pagan religions.



No comments:
Post a Comment